Saturday, May 31, 2008

Live Laugh Love




Today is a day of reflection and appreciation. A former student was killed three years ago by a drunk driver. On any other day, I smile when I think of him: his love for Sponge Bob Square Pants, his contagious laugh, his charisma, his kindness. I have many fond memories of him and that special group of classmates. I am sad today that I won't hear about his teenage milestones like getting a driver's license, or going to prom. My thoughts are with his family. Now that I have a son, the loss of my student touches me even more profoundly.

As I sit here blogging, my son at my feet, stroking his soft, blond hair, I am reminded to be grateful. I try to live in the moment and soak in the little things about Braden here and now: his boisterous laugh, his mostly toothless smile, his Frankenstein-like walk, his innate curiosity about the world.

Life isn't perfect. I am saddened that loss is an inevitability of life. But perhaps that's what reminds us to be kind, loving and present.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, touching entry.

Love and thoughtfulness to you today.

-j

Love the fine photography of your precious Braden.

-jenj

Cindy said...

Words well worth sharing...what a way to honor his spirit and that of your sons. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is what I love about you Kim, you always remember everyone else. That is what makes you so special. I am so proud to call you my friend!!

Braden 2007-2008

Braden 2007-2008