We rejoined our gym today. It was a plan in the works for a few weeks now. Our primary goal was to give Braden a new social outlet. No time like the present to practice good social skills and graces. Not only that, it's high time I get back in shape and take a few, well-deserved moments for myself (good advice I've received from several veteran moms- thanks!)
So off Braden and I went to the childcare room. While I checked us in and was versed on the rules, Braden crawled off to play with a new toy. He was comfortable and excited. So was I. I said a quick goodbye with a wave as I tried to nonchalantly make my way out the door. How easy was that?
I hopped on the treadmill and settled into a nice rhythm. Head phones on, baseball on the t.v., I was set. Twenty-five minutes later, I was tired and feeling done. As my name was announced over the gym PA system, asking me to come collect my son, I realized Braden was done as well. He was sobbing when I picked him up. I felt terrible. I grabbed his diaper bag and calmed him as we slowly made our way to the car. He was none-to pleased to be strapped in the car seat, but as the car began to move, he settled into the familiarity.
I shared this story with two of my mommy friends, both of whom, gently laughed at my tale, as if to say, "you novice! Twenty-five minutes. My kid couldn't make it five the first time we left him alone!" I was reassured through their humor and realized what an amazing accomplishment Braden achieved today. He spent his first time alone, without familiar people, successfully. He survived. Way to go, Braden! I'm so proud.
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Braden 2007-2008
2 comments:
Way to go Braden. Keep trying, that's what they tell me. I guess I need to go to the gym more often than once a week!
Must have been terribly tough for the both of you.
Bless you for your strength and endurance.
-j
Post a Comment